2021 Boston Biotechnology Virtual Summit Program
INTRODUCTION TO THE 2021 5th BOSTON ● PARIS SUMMIT PROGRAM
An exclusive Trans-Atlantic bridge designed to foster innovative synergies between biotech and pharma companies, healthcare-focused cities and regional clusters, and institutional, philanthropic and strategic investors. The Summit’s intent is to spark projects, their financing and strategic deals in order to solve unmet medical needs and thus improve patient lives globally.
The Summit is celebrating its 5th anniversary in 2021 and the co-founders sincerely thank, and are humbled by, our annual Organizing Committees, Summit Teams, Faculty, Program Committees and, notably, Sponsor Organizations for their encouragement, technical services, expertise and financial support, respectively.
Summit Core Themes from 2017 to 2021:
The Boston Biotechnology Summit is a generalist platform to enable conversations and exchanges focused on providing patients with the latest innovations from the biotechnology industry. In a thought-provoking book <Range, Why generalists triumph in a specialized world> author and observer David Epstein analyzed the world’s successful artists, athletes, inventors, musicians and scientists and discovered that generalists are primed to excel in many fields.
He argues that impactful inventors cross domains rather than deepen their knowledge in a given area (2). A platform is defined as a business that can create significant value through the acquisition, matching and connection of two or more customer groups to enable them to transact. It is common knowledge that platform businesses have grown during the past 20 years (4). In his 2021 book <The Code Breaker>, Walter Isaacson importantly pointed out that “By honoring CRISPR, a virus finding system found in nature, in the midst of a virus pandemic, the 2020 Nobel Committee reminded us how curiosity-driven basic research can end up having very practical applications. CRISPR and COVID are speeding our entry into the life science era. Molecules are becoming the new microchips” (3). After hosting our virtual Covid-19 2020 Summit, we are returning to our broader generalist platform in 2021. Our core theme is <New Skills for Biotech. & New Investments in Health>. The event will be divided into three sections: (1) the state-of-the-art of our biotechnology industry and food-for-thought discussions based on plenary keynote presentation, (2) the much acclaimed “International Pitch Session” starring award winning or carefully selected young biotechnology companies, and (3) The <Summit Master Class>, emphasizing our high regard for education in our annual summit missions.
2021 Program Committee Chair, Summit Co-founder with Soheila Gharakhanian, 5th Boston Biotechnology Summit. Virtual Session, Boston/Cambridge MA September 2021.
REFERENCES & BIBLIOGRAPHY
❶ BOSTON BIOTECHNOLOGY SIMMIT™
a) 2017-2020 Boston Biotechnology Summit Booklets
❷ Epstein D (2019). Range. Why generalists triumph in a specialized world. Riverhead Books, New York.
❸ Isaacson, W. (2021) The Code Breaker. Jennifer Doudna, Gene Editing and the Future of the human Race. Simon & Schuster, New York.
❹ Reillier LC, Reillier B. (2017) Platform Strategy. How to unlock the power of communities and grow your business. Gower Book, London & New York.
2021 Virtual Summit
Schedule 9:30 AM US EDT = 15:30 EU CET
- Opening by Massachusetts Life Sciences Center CEO
- Session 1 – New Skills in Biotechnology & New Investments in Health
- Session 2 – Our Famous Award Winning Start-Ups’ Pitch
- Session 3 – Master Class
- Closing: Award Ceremony & Summary
Program will be comprised of 3 sessions:
Special 5th Anniversary Program. Starting 9:30 AM US EDT = 15h30 EU CET
OPENING SESSION @ 9:30 AM EDT
- Soheila Gharakhanian, Summit Co-Founder: “Continuity – Cohesion – Collaboration” @ 5th Boston Paris Biotechnology Summit !
- Kenneth TURNER,
President & CEO, MALSC: Massachusetts Life Sciences Center.
- Biotechnology Snapshots: A Tale of 3 Cities – from The International Program Committee
@ PARIS: Nawal Ouzren, CEO Sensorion, France.
@ COPENHAGEN: Kamilla Rolsted, Co-Founder & CEO Isanans Pharma; Advisor, Translution Capital.
SESSION ① @ 10:30 AM EDT. New Skills in Biotechnology & New Investments in Health.
- Tibor Nemes, President, Stallergenes Greer, Boston MA (Chair).
- Vanessa El Harrar, VP, PPD Biotech, Wilmington, NC.(Co-Chair).
- Lou Shipley, Harvard Business School & MIT Sloan School of Management, Cambridge MA. Author: How the pandemic is changing Big Pharma. Boston Business Journal, February 2021.
- Omid Harandi, Director Cell & Gene Therapy, Flagship Venture Labs, Boston MA.
- James Cornwall, Partner, Abingworth LLP, Boston MA.
SESSION ② @ 12 PM EDT : Our Famous International Pitch Session (Conducted in 2 Parts) .
- Sophie KORNOWSKI, Managing Partner, Gurnet Point Capital, Cambridge MA.
- (12 PM Session Chair).
- Rebecca Dufur, MWE: McDermott Will Emery, Boston MA (Session Co-Chair).
- Cecile Le Camus, Global Head, RMD: Rare Blood Diseases, SANOFI-GENZYME,
- Eric Evans: Executive Committee, Mass Medical Angels, Boston MA.
- Mark Stencik, Executive Director, Merck Research Laboratories, Boston MA. (1 PM Session Chair).
- M Siekman, MWE: McDermott Will Emery, Boston MA (Session Co-Chair).
- Naji Gehchan, Global Oncology Lead & Team Leader, Eli Lilly & Co. Cambridge MA.
- Paul Hartung, BOD, Leuko Labs, Representing Launchpad Ventures LLC, Boston.
CEO/EXECUTIVES PITCHING – LISTED AT THE END OF THE PROGRAM.
SESSION ③ @ 2:30 PM EDT : MASTER CLASS
- Rodger NOVAK, PhD, C0-Founder CRISPR Therapeutics, Cambridge MA.
- CLOSING SESSIONS @ 3:15 PM EDT
- PITCH SESSION Winner & Virtual Award Session
- Pravin Chaturvedi, CEO/BOD Member MA Biotech Companies, Summit Chair Emeritus.
- Yvette Cleland, CEO, CPL Life Sciences, London UK.
- Retsina Meyer, Executive Director Delix Therapeutics & Program Committee Member.
- SUMMIT SUMMARY & CONCLUSIONS FROM PROGRAM COMMITTEE:
- @ BOSTON: Thierry Auperin, VP, Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, MA.
- Frederic Jallat, Professor & Program Director, ESCP Business School, Paris FR.
- Shahin Gharakhanian, MD, DPH, Summit Co-Founder, & Chair, Program Committee.
Companies Pitching in Alphabetical Order:
- Advanced Silicon Group, Lowell, MA. Novel Biosensors. MassConnect, M2D2 2020 finalist, USAF Grants.
- Apmonia Therapeutics, Reims, France. Peptides in Oncology Rx. French National Cancer Institute Recognition.
- Decoy Therapeutics, Cambridge MA. AntiViral Platform. JLABS Company, J&J/BARDA Bluenight Prgram.
- GPx – General Prognostics, Cambridge MA. Patient Monitoring Platform. M2D2 2021 Challenge Finalist.
- Memory Lane TV, Portland ME. Program for Alzheimer’s Disease. Mass Challenge, Social Impact Forum Winner, French-American Business Award.
- Osivax, Lyon, France. Universal Flu Vaccine. Summit Alumni, By Invitation.
- Pherecydes Pharma, Paris, France. Phage-Based Antimicrobial. 2021 Bio Convention Business France Company Showcase.
- Microbial Machines (Fmr Sanarx Biotherapeutics), Boston MA. Synthetic Biology Dx. 2021 Harvard U. President’s Challenge Prize Winner.
- Smarther MRI, Weill Cornell, Scarsdale, NY. Novel Software for Gynecology. M2D2 2021 Challenge Winner, 1st Prize.
- Smart Immune, Institut Imagine, Paris, Fr. T-Cell Immunotherapy. BPI (French Public Investment Bank) Innovation Competition
You can check out the list of the 2021 Speakers as well as our International Program Committee under the appropriate tabs of this Website
3:50 PM EDT
Closing Remarks and Summit Adjourns
Ready to register for the Boston Biotechnology Summit? Click the button below to get started with your registration process.